Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Class Dojo Vs. Class Craft

VERSUS 


I have been pondering ClassCraft this summer and reading up on different articles and blogs that mention how beneficial it is for students.  My question to you is that is it appropriate for Elementary level students?

I began using Class Dojo two years ago in my classroom as a behavior management system during my guided reading time.  I am able to use my wireless mouse to award students points for being quiet and on task at this time, giving me the opportunity to work with small groups without interruptions.  I can also take away points from students if they are off task.  It is very easy to use. Students are able to change their little monsters anyway they choose, which usually is enjoyable and fun for them.  However, towards the end of the year, they start to get bored with it and it no longer has the appeal anymore.

Reading through some articles and the question and answer forums on Class Craft, I was beginning to feel like it was a lot of work for the teacher and had some questions:
-How do the students log in to do anything on this site?
-Is there an app for it? (Which there is an app coming out soon)
-When would I incorporate adding and deducting points?
-Is this going to be easier than Class Dojo?

Here are my thoughts and what I have found.

Worry #1: I only worry about the "death sentence" when a player loses all of their health, it pops up that they have died and then they get a random death sentence that you can edit; such as detention, helping clean the floor, no free time, etc.  Once they serve their sentence, they come back to life in the game.  What will parents think of this being done in the classroom at school?  I know that kids understand playing a game and dying in the game and then starting a new life, but will some parents buy in to this in the classroom? 

Worry #2:  There are a lot of aspects in this game.  Gaining health and experience points are a way that students can get rewarded. When they build up enough points they can start to buy powers to help save their teammates in the game.  Will third graders be able to understand these concepts? My initial response is yes, I think they can handle it, but when will I have time to explain all of this? (Maybe snack time)

Positive thoughts:
Thought #1:  You can use this as a team building exercise.  Students get to choose to be a mage, warrior, or healer.  It would be important to have one of each on their team because they all have different powers that you need to move up to the next level.

Thought #2:  This would be an excellent motivator for those "gamer" or more withdrawn students in the classroom.  How fun would it be to come to school everyday, earn health points, and buy cool new powers to help out your classmates on your team because you are trying to move ahead of the other teams.  I think it would provide a great collaborating factor into the school day.

Thought #3: You can link points to test grades and the formulas are already set up for you.  If I wanted each week's reading quiz to be a part of points gained in Class Craft, I could set the test to be 100 points.  Then I could set the bar at 60, being the main goal .  If students score a 60 on their test (which many students score above) they wouldn't receive extra points, but they would remain safe.  If they scored anywhere higher than a 60 they would begin to receive extra points based on their score.  Now this would be an extra step in the grading process to add these grades to Class Craft, BUT with SuccessNet they provide an Excel print out with student grades.  You can just copy and paste from the excel spreadsheet into Class Craft and you are done.

All in all, I think I am going to give Class Craft a shot.  I have also read a lot about how teachers incorporate Whole Brain Teaching into Class Craft and think I am going to try it out.  As I mentioned before, you have to try something first, and try again, before you can give up!

4 comments:

  1. Do you have an update as to your experience with Class Craft?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have an update as to your experience with Class Craft?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear your thoughts a few years down the road...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How has ClassCraft worked for you? I am wanting to implement it this coming school year, but all of your worries are my exact worries. I am curious how this went from the parent perspective.

    ReplyDelete